Friday, February 22, 2008

Happy Anniversary Mama and Daddy!


They were highschool sweethearts growing up in rural South Carolina...never had ventured too far away from home...married on February 22, 1964 in a small little Baptist church not far from where they lived when they were only 18 and 19 years old...Daddy joined the US Air Force, my Mama worked at a bank and they moved to Goldsboro, NC (a whole 7 hours from where they grew up), they then had a baby girl, started building a home together, making memories as the days passed, moved to FL with the Air Force and then moved to Georgia and my Daddy started working for the railroad. They bought their first house in Smyrna, GA so proud of where they had started and where they had now come...they then had a baby boy who bounced into their world and life would never be the same...they bought their 2nd house in Marietta, GA where the family made more memories, cherishing sweet times together and the years passed, and their love continued to grow. In 1990 Daddy got a promotion with the railroad and they moved to Virginia Beach, VA where they lived until 2004 when they then moved down to The Villages, FL to enjoy retirement.


I feel so privileged that I had the opportunity to witness one of the sweetest marriages I have ever seen...My Mama and Daddy truly LOVE each other, they RESPECT each other and they HONOR each other. Times have not always been easy, but through the years they have clung to each other and their marriage and God has honored their faithfulness and commitment towards each other. 44 years later, they still enjoy each other's company more than spending time with anyone else.

My fondest memory of my Mama's love for my Daddy:
Every day when Daddy would come home from work, my Mama would hear him coming up the driveway in his little Blue VW bug, and she would shout through the house, "Daddy's home!" Anthony and I would then make a mad dash to the garage door along with Mama to greet him. She would always give him a hug and kiss after we kids about tackled Daddy and threw our arms around his neck first. I have such fond memories of that that I do this every day when my man comes home too. I want Ella Rose to see her Daddy and I loving each other...I want her to witness that sweetness in our marriage that I witnessed in my own parents marriage. I want my daughter to also treat her Daddy with such respect so one day she'll know how to treat her own husband with respect. My Mama modeled that in such a great way consistently on a DAILY basis.

My fondest memory of my Daddy's love for my Mama:
When they lived in VA, my Mama ended up having to go out to Denver, CO for training for Continental Airlines and my Daddy was moping around the house like a sad, puppy dog. I asked him if he was okay and he said with tears welling up in his eyes, "I miss your Mom so much." That touched me so much and I remember then as a 22 year old that I wanted to marry a man who would love me and miss me like that! And I am ever grateful to the Lord that He has indeed blessed me with a man like that in Ian.

All the parenting books say one of the most important things you can give to your children is to show them how much you love your spouse. Thank you Mama and Daddy for modeling this for Anthony and I. We always felt safe, secure, loved and knew y'all would stay together no matter how tough things got. Thank you for being such a Godly example to us through your 44 years of marriage! We love you!

10 comments:

Jason and Amy said...

Happy Anniversary Mr. and Mrs. Williams! I am so thankful that the Lord brought Vonda into my life so that I could also have the privaledge of getting to know you. You are such a perfect picture of what marriage is suppose to look like: loving, honoring, and respectful...through the tough times and the good times. Yall just look way too young to have been married 44 years. You must have gotten married as kids! Love yall, Amy Blehm

Heather Estridge said...

What a sweet tribute! I know your parents are so thankful for their family. With all of the broken marriages out there today it is very refreshing to see a successful marriage of 44 years of 2 people that made a choice to stick together in for better or worse...
Happy Anniversary Mr. and Mrs. Williams and thank you for commitment and example to your children and as you can see it passes on to others now too.
Love, Heather Estridge

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that with us V...that is so really special. I didnt know that your Dad was in the Air Force also! Congrats to MeMe and PaPa...on your Anniversary.

I just love all the family photos...wonderful memories and how you will one day look back and see how everyone has changed since those photos were taken.

anthonyandbeth said...

what a sweet tribute to mom and dad! they have been a wonderful example haven't they? what a blessing to have them in our lives!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hey, Vonda! Thank you for the very warm wishes on me starting my little business. I'm scared, but have nothing to lose & everything to gain by getting out there, so thank you SO much for all your support. You have always been such a cheerleader for me!

Awww, I just loved your memories & tribute to your parent's marriage. That is such a great heritage. I have a wonderful heritage too & treasure it so much. Mine have been married 54 years now & still going strong too.

Love ya! Rhoda

Linda Williams said...

Thank you Vonda for such a sweet tribute to our love story! We do not always see ourselves as others see us but I am so very grateful that the love that Dad and I share shows to our children and grandchildren. We have truly been blessed by having each other. And yes, the best advice that I can think of is build your love NOW and you will enjoy a wonderful retirement together.

Love,
Mom

Mike and Anne Savage said...

What a precious time! And what a sweet mamma and daddy. Thanks for sharing their sweet love story. Certainly, something to aspire to.

love and miss you!

Keith Miller said...

Please let me add our family's congratulations, albeit a little late. Vonda, what a lovely post, and God bless you for it. I'm reminded of Deuteronomy 5:16 as I read it.

Thanks too for the Valentine from Ella Rose! What a cutie she is, and I think it's wonderful she'll have a sister!

Changed by His Love said...

How beautiful! Thanks for sharing about your parents and their wonderful, godly example.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to cry...sniff sniff. That was so sweet!

Love you, Lianne