Saturday, May 16, 2009

The case of the "missing shoe"


On Thursday I took the girls to Mother's Morning Out and since Ella Rose constantly takes her shoes off on the way to anywhere we go, I decided to just put them in the car and wait to put them on her feet when we arrived at our destination. I got the girls all buckled in ready to go and drove the 8 minute drive to the church where I take them for MMO. When I got out of the car, I went to get Ella Rose out of her carseat when I saw a shoe behind the car and thought to myself, "that looks like Ella Rose's sandal," and then I did a double take and said, "oh my word THAT IS ELLA ROSE'S SANDAL!" At that ah-ha moment I remembered putting the sandals on top of the car while I buckled Carolina Grace in, but I forgot to grab them off the roof of the car before heading out. So one shoe had made it all the way to MMO (shocking huh, especially if you know how I drive) but the other one was no where to be found. I took the girls in while Ella Rose was very perplexed and kept saying, "SHOES MAMA" realizing she did not have them on her feet. Knowing they were to go out to play outside in an hour I knew I needed to retrace my steps (or should I say my drive) and either find the "missing shoe" or bring some shoes back to MMO for Ella Rose. So I start driving back towards the house looking on the opposite side of the road, noticing every WHITE speck on the road that possibly looked like a shoe that fit a toddler. Then I started thinking about where I took a turn and remembered that I had taken a sharp right turn into the Lowe's Parking Lot so I could have "a little talk" with Ella Rose since she was totally melting down because she did not have her sippy cup, her play phone, her snack cup and whatever else she thought a 2 year old needed to have at that very moment. So I arrived at Lowe's and lo and behold the "missing white shoe" was EXACTLY where I thought it was...right where I made the turn into the parking lot. I just smiled and shouted YEA!!! It had a few black marks on it where some cars had run over it already but at least it had been found.

The irony of it is that we have been given so many hand-me-down shoes for the girls or I find these great deals at flea markets where I buy "never worn" toddler shoes for $2.00-3.00 but THESE white shoes were the shoes that I had just bought for Ella Rose brand spankin' new doggone it and I paid a whopping $14.95 for them which goes against my grain since she won't be in these shoes long at all. But we needed WHITE sandals for the Summer so we bought them, and you would know these were the shoes that would be put on top of the car, get lost and run over a couple of times, but hey they still have a lot of wear to them and before it's over we'll be saying they were worth every penny!!!

9 comments:

Linda Williams said...

I laughed and laughed when you told me about this little happening in your life! It really is a miracle that you ever found that other shoe, you know....Even if it is battered and a little dirty....You found it! Unlike the little London Fog all weather coat that your Mommy lost for you! I tell you, you were about the same age as Ella Rose, and I had NEVER spent that much money for a coat in my life much less yours....and after only a couple of wears.....I forgot and left it at Campbell's Restaurant in Smyrna, Ga. By the time I got back there it was long gone! Somebody (beside me) got a deal!

Love,
Mimi and Papa

Heather Estridge said...

That is hillarious :) Good job Mama finding that shoe!

Jean said...

Oh that is just TOO funny!!! Thanks for the good laugh! My mom once drove all the way home from the grocery store with a gallon of milk on top of the car. But if you knew my mom and how slow she drives it wouldn't surprise you one bit!

I had to break down and spend $23 (ouch!) on little brown sandals for Josh because I couldn't find any at the flea market yesterday. But I did find 2 pairs of tennis shoes and paid $1.50 for one and $3 for the other, so I guess I made up for all the money spent on those sandals.

Take care, we miss you!

anthonyandbeth said...

love this story! it's def. one for the memory books! :) i'm so glad you found her little shoe!

anthonyandbeth said...

and you're such a good mama Vonda! stopping to have a little talk...it's never convenient to do but it's so good you're willing to STOP what your doing! love you!

Its So Very Cheri said...

That is too funny-Vonda. Gabby has the same pair of shoes. I went ahead and bought them because, down here in Florida she will get tons of wear and this area doesn't have any flea markets so I'm kind of stuck. Glad you rescued the shoe. Gabby takes hers off all the time too.

Tracy said...

Vonda, I feel sad to read the girls are in another MMO program :( . But that is me being possessive. And silly. It's great you've found another program for them and WAY TO GO finding her shoe! Perhaps you have a career in the FBI in your future...LY Tracy

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

You have now answered the age-old question of those lonely road shoes. Did a kid throw it out? No.

They are there because of mommy-brain! :)

The Miller Family said...

Chuckling over the story! That is TOO funny!!! What is so amazing, is that you actually found the other shoe.