Sunday, January 20, 2008

Visiting Salzburg Austria

Right after the New Year, we took a long weekend to Salzburg, Austria and had just a splendid time! We visited Mozart's birthplace as well as visited the sights where my all time favorite movie, The Sound of Music was filmed. Traveling in Europe is oftentimes an adventure...EVERYTHING costs $$$ or should I say Euro and when the GPS says it takes 5 hours to get somewhere in Europe...you should tack on 2-3 hours more than that as there are always Stau's (German word for Traffic Jam). Ella Rose proved to be a little trooper once again traveling all over the place with her Mama and Daddy and enjoying every bit of it, especially socializing and even in very cold 25 degree weather, she did great!


I'm not kidding...it cost .75 to go to this restroom at a rest stop...this is very common in Europe...very rarely are there FREE restrooms (not even for pregnant women)


Finally arrived in Salzburg

Our hotel had beautiful antiques and the rooms were lovely

Bundling up Ella Rose for a long day of sight-seeing

Scene from the Sound of Music was filmed here...mural of the horses

Shopping in Salzburg...thousands and thousands of beautifully hand painted Easter eggs

Ian below the Castle in Salzburg

St. Peter's Cemetery...the dramatic escape scene was filmed here

This sight seeing wears me out!

It was a treat seeing Salzburg still decorated for Christmas

Oh please Daddy, can we take the Teddy Bear back home with us???
Yellow building is Mozart's birthplace
Our little family making memories

Meeting 2 little girls from Russia
Ella Rose couldn't take her eyes off the girls
I couldn't resist...one day I'll be telling her NOT to do this!
I think Ella Rose has it down!
Always has a place on Daddy's shoulders
Cafe Sacher's Famous Chocolate "Torte"
Salzburg at night

Fountain was covered but this is the fountain Maria in the Sound of Music danced around singing "I have confidence in Me"
Salzburg is a beautiful city!
Okay so chocolate is another food group since I'm pregnant...
Cafe where we drank hot chocolate and had chocolate croissants
Salzburg local outdoor market where they sell foods and plants
In front of our hotel...we stayed at such a great location right in the middle of town
Outside our hotel window we watched a traditional New Year's event although it was the weekend after New Year's
Ella Rose helping pack the bags
On our way out of town, we visited the Gazebo where the song "I am Sixteen, Going on Seventeen" was filmed.
Leaving Austria...the ALPS are glorious!
Heading home and Ella Rose is already sound asleep
But not for long...happy little world traveler!!!

14 comments:

anthonyandbeth said...

looks like a fabulous trip, making memories just your little family! ;) i have such special memories of that trip when i was in college. i'm so glad your family let me tag along! ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh that looked like such a fun trip! Wish I was there. Now I have to tell you I might be jumping some stalls to use a potty. :)

Love ya!!!! Lianne

anthonyandbeth said...

looking again! :) love the new pink puffy coat! where did you find that one? it's so pretty! :)

Linda Williams said...

What a great time it looks like that you had! These really are happy memories and they will become more precious as the years go by!

I am so glad you were able to go.

Love,
Mimi and Papa

Jen said...

Wow - that looks like an absolutely beautiful place. Everything looked so regal. You guys are so blessed to be able to experience all those places and cultures while you are over there. Ella Rose is so beautiful. I haven't asked Beth yet, but are you guys finding out what Baby #2 is, or do ya'll keep it a surprise?
I can't believe you got to see the Gazebo from the Sound of Music. I am an avid fan of that movie, I'd love to visit Austria someday.

Heather Estridge said...

What a beautiful city! Looks like you all had so much fun creating those memories. Ella Rose is such a cheerful girl - love that big smile on the last picture you posted! Great pictures, thanks for sharing! BTW, I think chocolate is a food group also...

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Great pictures, hon! I just have one request... more chocolate cake pictures? Please? (Did that sound pitiful?)

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

What a fun trip, Vonda! So glad ya'll are taking advantage of living over there & seeing the sights. Lucky you! You are gonna have so many great memories!

Love you!

Melene@Sing For Joy said...

Hi! I found your blog through your comment at the LPM Blog about where all of their readers are. We are an AF family that lived at Ramstein-in Miesenbach from 1994-1997 and we loved it so much. Salzburg was one of our travel stops, too! Our oldest daughter was born there in April of 1996. Your blog brings back great memories for me and makes me miss Germany even more. By the way, I'm also from NC. I noticed your pictures from a trip to Raleigh.....
My blog is:

http://jmeg.typepad.com

Anonymous said...

Vonda, seeing your pics made me want to go back to Salzburg. There was just something enchanted about that place during the Christmas season. You all look great!!! I am soo excited for you guys with the 2nd one coming!! Take care!!!
Elisha Wyant

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Great photos~ thanks for taking us along.
Did you sing your way around Salzburg? 'these are a few of my favorite things...'

Anonymous said...

The pictures are beautiful. Wished I could have been in your suitcase

Anonymous said...

OOPs! I forgot to sign my name!

Love,
Aunt Donna and Uncle Herbert

Anonymous said...

Incredible pix...I love all the sound of Music stuff...and the Gazebo...that is one of my favorite scenes in that movie.

Just gorgeous sights. I envy that trip of yours. Glad you guys had a fantastic time.
Di