Tuesday, December 2, 2008

So much to be thankful for


Thanksgiving Day...taking family pictures with 2 babies under 20 months is kinda comical

Carolina Grace's 1st Thanksgiving

Ian did a fabulous job on the TURKEY

THE BIRD
I am so thankful for my wonderful husband Ian and that he is such a great Daddy to our girls
I am so thankful for my precious Ella Rose who can't sit still but who can certainly melt your heart with her wide open personality and smile and I'm so grateful for my sweet friend Michelle and her beautiful daughter Mia.
I am so thankful for my sweet baby girl Carolina Grace who lights up a room
For 2 healthy, happy babies...Ian and I are so grateful
And we are so thankful for sweet friends we will know for a lifetime

We had a great time on Thanksgiving celebrating with a Turkey and all the fixin's. I am such a blessed lady because not only am I married to a wonderful man, I am married to a man who can COOK!!! Ian really wanted to cook some this year so we decided to split it up, and he made some of The Livingston's favorite traditional dishes, and I made some from The Williams side and then we had a few that will become part of our own family traditions.
We ended up having Turkey, Squash Casserole, Dressing with Gravy, Broccoli Casserole, Sweet Potato Casserole (thank you Michelle), Cranberry Relish, Celery sticks filled with cream cheese/olive mixture, Deviled Eggs, Sweet Tea, and Pecan Pie. We have such a small kitchen because the Germans do not believe in LARGE kitchens so we took turns preparing everything the day before. We also had Michelle and Mia over since Matt was out of town on a mission so it was great spending time with family and friends.
There was one thing we didn't do this year that we have done for the past 3 years since we've been married and that is to go around the table and tell one thing in which we are THANKFUL. With 2 toddlers, that was a bit challenging so instead we folded our hands together and the girls said a prayer which is absolutely precious when at the end Ella Rose always ends up saying a very loud, A-MEN with a Southern accent! (hee hee) But the week before when Michelle and Mia came over for chili, Ella Rose liked what the Miller's do when they pray...they all hold hands so now she is not sure whether she wants to fold her hands or hold our hands when we all pray. It's precious and it's amazing to me how children can learn about Jesus at such an early age....absolutely PRICELESS!
I am always fascinated by how other family's spend their holidays so when you comment tell me what your favorite dishes are and if you have a favorite family tradition. Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving too!

11 comments:

evehenry said...

Sounds like you guys had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We too enjoyed family dishes including our favorite...pumpkin pie! We stay home, cook all day and Steve and the kids put up all our Christmas decorations. I am so grateful for my beautiful family and thank GOD everday for my blessings!

Kathy said...

Happy Thanksgiving a little late!
We do it differently every year...as befits a military family. This year, AJ didn't get home till about Josh's bedtime on Thanksgiving, so we had our dinner on Friday evening. AJ always grills the Turkey, and I make everything else, since poultry totally grosses me out...like to the point of gagging! Then we have fairly traditional dishes, always including the pumpkin pie, and usually a chocolate creme pie, since that's AJ's favorite!
Glad y'all had fun! Miss you!

Anonymous said...

So very glad to hear you had a great Thanksgiving. And that Ella Rose is developing a southern accent-good job Mama!

Our family tradition is to eat seafood. Whether crab legs, low country boil, or fried shimp, we always have some sort of seafood topped off with pecan pie. Before we go to bed, we watch "Charlie Brown's Christmas".

Lori Wright said...

Looks like a fun Thanksgiving! Cooking with those babies is an adventure, isn't it? We had a similar menu to y'all. We had a smoked turkey this year which was yummy, dressing, sweet potato casserole, squash casserole, green beans with bacon and almonds, creamed corn, and pecan pie for dessert...whew! We were STUFFED, but it was worth it! Do y'all know your assignment yet? I'm about to die to hear!

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

OK, my mouth is watering - watering, I tell you! - over that turkey. Are you sure you just don't want to chuck this whole Air Force gig and move in with us? :)

Wonderful pictures, hon! Thanks! Missing you guys like crazy!

Anonymous said...

We ordered a rotisserie turkey breast from Roasters. (All of our other ingredients come from Trader Joe's). We love our creamed spinach, sweet potato souffle (a dessert in itself), and organic pumpkin pie with fresh whipped topping. Leftovers will now always be turkey shepherd's pie.

Anonymous said...

Precious family, Vonda! A wonderful husband and 2 sweet, beautiful girls! God is so good, isn't He?

This year Ray's mom, step dad and aunt were here so they did most of the cooking! We had a turkey, dressing, sweet potatoes, green beans, corn, a very yummy salad his aunt made, rolls, chocolate pie, coconut pie and a cake his aunt made! (I've been eating left-overs all week since Ray has been gone..) It was all good..! After all this, I am taking a break from eating until Christmas....haha!

I feel so blessed to have a wonderful husband and 2 precious boys and I am thankful for them everyday!

Love you girl,
gena

Heather Estridge said...

Oh, I would frame that first picture or put it up on your frig as a reminder to LAUGH on those days that are trying. So much joy, makes me smile just looking at it. Happy Thanksgiving friends. Miss you guys. This year we had Thanksgiving supper in the hospital before we came home but normally I like Chris' mom's corn bread stuffing or from my family Oyster dressing (Northwest family :)). We decorate that evening of Thanksgiving normally or the day after. Usually in my family we will play games after dinner and then the men will watch football and the ladies chit chat over the dishes.

anthonyandbeth said...

Ian'a turkey looks SO yummy! i can't wait till we can have Thanksgiving all together and Ian can do the Turkey! yum! yes, you have SO much to be Thankful for, we all do! we are so Thankful for y'all! love this post Vonda...the girls are precious!!! love you!

Linda Williams said...

Sounds delicious, I tell you! And reading Heather's comments about oyster dressing made Dad hungry! If she sees this, I would love having her family recipe.....I tried it once, but I obviously did not get a good one...So, HELP, Heather!

Love,
Mimi and Papa

Anonymous said...

Great pics of Thanksgiving fun and food! Ian, that turkey looks rockin'! We always have turkey and one side that is a constant is rutabegas. My dad makes rutabegas that literally melt in your mouth. Then, of course, we save room for desserts and fall asleep in front of a football game.... Gotta love that tryptophan (or however you spell that turkey drug....)!!