Well in the military it is a well known fact among military wives that when your husband is away on a deployment or TDY everything will go wrong...the car will break down, the washing machine will break, kids get sick, okay so you get the picture.
Ian left for 5 days to go to Colorado Springs last week with the Air Force and while he was gone we had a cookout with our sweet friends Becky and Mark Jennings and their 4 boys from Wales. Well while we were sitting out on the patio and eating this incredibly sweet watermelon, Ella Rose got stung by a yellow jacket. Her hand started swelling right away, turning red and looking pretty bad until the swelling went all the way up to her little elbow. I went in and called the emergency line (on base) and they told me they would send someone to check it out. I kept telling them now I didn't want to be an overreactive Mama but I knew Ian was really allergic to bees so I was concerned since my 17 month old had not been stung yet. "Oh no" the fella on the other end of the line said, "For a 17 month old it is better that we come out and check her out...better to be safe than sorry because if she were to have trouble breathing, that could be dangerous." So within 2 minutes we hear a siren and 2 military police are out on our patio, within another 4 minutes, the firetruck comes up the road flashing their red lights and siren blaring only for 4 fireman to show up on our patio, then we hear another siren and now the Germans have come and then before it was over, we heard one more siren. Oh my word, I'm looking at all the people out on our patio and we have 2 Military police, 4 Military fireman, 4 German paramedics, and then 3 more German folks from the German hospital (including a Doctor) who are out on our patio checking out Ella Rose. After the Dr. checked her out (Ella Rose was still interested in eating her watermelon can you believe while they were checking her out) and the fireman checked out her oxygen level, they said she was fine.
Becky being the all wise and all knowing Mama of 4 boys had been down this road before so she submerged Ella Rose's hand in ice cold water with some of her floating toys from the bathtub in the water when I was making the phone calls so that helped the swelling go down. I was quite embarrassed by the whole ordeal looking around at all these folks and told them I thought only a couple of fireman were going to show up and that would be it. "Oh no, this is protocol, M'aam," one of the fireman told me, "just in case she needed transporting to the hospital, that's why the Germans showed up too." So now this Mama has gone through a bee sting and we now know Ella Rose is NOT allergic to bee stings like her Daddy...yea!
So at the very end of the whole ordeal I look at Becky and said wow we should have gotten pics of all of that and since Becky and I have been friends since we were 5 years old, she gleefully smiled and said, "oh I got a pix...I knew you would want one." And a big blessing through the whole thing was Carolina Grace slept through the whole ordeal. Boy look at all Ian misses out on when he's not with his girls. :)
10 comments:
Oh Vonda-that sounds like something that would happen to me.
When Garrett was a baby Ken was getting ready to leave for work. I was still in my pajamas. Ken poured a cup of coffee and Garrett reached up and pulled it on top of himself. I rushed him into the bathroom, jumo into the tub and turn on the shower.I am pregnant with Grant, in pajamas, totally drenched from head to toe. While I am in the shower Ken calls 911. I told him I didn't think they needed to come, the coffee must have cooled off enough to still be a little hot but not terribly hot. They said they had to come and check him out. So there I am pregnant-no bra-drenched and Garrett was fine. I'm sure I was the talk of the fire station that day.
I love checking your sight every day-waiting for new things about you guys.
Love ya,
Cheri
Oh, Vonda I am so sorry. Nothing is scarier than something happening to your baby. But you handled it like a pro! I'm sure that was overwhelming with all those people but better safe than sorry. I hate to tell you but you'll probably have lots more of these events. We've actually become quite familiar with the ER's here locally. Price of have so many babies I guess! Love you, glad she is Ok.
Hugs,
Eve
That is hilarious...and I am glad all turned out ok for Ella Rose..
They sure do take care of you guys in the Military and those Germans too..
Diane
Oh my that is too much! I am glad through all of that that you found out that Ella Rose is not allergic to bees. Way to go Becky for getting pictures and way to go military for responding so quickly :) I'm sure Ian couldn't believe all that had happened while he was away. But I hear you about things happenging when our men are gone - I'll second that.
Wowsa. Way too funny. Glad Becky got photographic evidence. All you needed next were the Keystone Cops. So glad Ella Rose was o.k. and not allergic. We keep getting those horrid things in the house and they hover around Bren. I've killed so many of them I'm probably listed as the hive's Most Wanted serial killer. Wish they'd stop coming in the house. Grr. Hope Ella Rose doesn't get stung again before the season is over and so happy she wasn't phased by all the fuss.
Definitely seems to be the season of kid emergencies, firetrucks, and six EMT/firemen in homes. First Jarrod and now Ella Rose! Glad she's OK! You, too!
i'm so glad that Ella Rose was OK! i'm not in the military but i'll second the fact that things seem to go crazy when our men leave town! i don't know why that is! maybe so they'll realize they better stay home as much as possible! :) again, so glad she is ok and i guess the good thing about all of this is you know she isn't allergic! and sweet carolina grace, she just knew her mama had her hands full so she just slept through the whole thing! :) those second and third kids just seem to know when they are going to have to sit back, relax, and wait! it's a good thing too! :) love you guys!
Oh Vonda-welcome to the nitty-gritty fun of motherhood. I feel your pain, having just made a recent "emergency trip" to the hospital due to a swallowed penny, only to learn it was passed in spite of our "inspections". Thankfully Ella Rose is not allergic to bees and you have a great story to tell. And thank goodness your friend took pics! Thank you for sharing. It's always reassuring to know other moms have similar "fun" like me.
Mia from coastal GA
oh my word Vonda! If you gonna do something do it right the first time or not at all and I think you accomplished that. You make me laugh girl! I'm glad she is ok.
I am so proud of Becky for taking the photos! They will be so good to have in Ella Rose's baby book!
Love,
Mom
Post a Comment